For many parents, a diaper bag can represent many different things from a means of convenience to helpful gear, all rolled into one. It is a necessity that helps them be prepared for anything and everything when they go out with their little one, whether to a doctor’s appointment or a simple quick stroll near the neighborhood.
(Image credits to Pampers)
Keeping your diaper bag stocked with all the right things is important in order to keep your baby happy, clean, and dry at the same time making sure you will not have to worry about tidying up whatever mess waiting to happen while you were outside. Below is an elaborated explanation on why a diaper bag is a definite must-have for all parents and what you really need to pack in it. Read the whole article to know about the must-have essentials that you need in your baby’s diaper bag in 2022.
Why Diaper Bags Are Important
In terms of appearance, a diaper bag is pretty much the same as a normal backpack or the tote bag that you already have at home. However, it is way more useful compared to those two when it comes to functionality and convenience.
(Image credits to Honeykids Asia)
A lot of diaper bags possess different additional features, such as changing pads and cooling bags to keep the breast milk or baby food cool during a long journey. They also usually have many pockets and compartments where you could store different things, including your own belongings such as phone, wallet or house keys.
While some diaper bags may look similar to ordinary backpacks or tote bags, they specifically have modern and neutral designs with cute patterns or colours that you can choose from based on your own preferences. Everything is within reach with a diaper bag, which is very useful when you are dealing with a squirmy baby.
Your Diaper Bag Checklist
When deciding what to pack in your diaper bag, think of possible scenarios you will encounter while you are out with your baby and figure out everything from there. Remember that the must-haves you need to pack in your diaper bag may depend on a lot of things from where you’re going, the weather, and how long you'll be out and about.
(Image credits to Makchic)
Although the exact items in your bag will depend on your baby's age and your own preferences, below is a list of diaper bag essentials that you may want to refer to before an outing:
- Diapers: Always pack a diaper in your bag for every two or three hours you'll be away, including one or two extras just in case.
- Wipes: These are the most important thing that you will need - which is handy for all kinds of messy situations from wiping the baby’s bum to cleaning your own hands. A great option would be to use Pampers wipes that are designed for your baby’s sensitive skin. Some wipes come in a travel-size pack, which could be useful if you have limited space in your diaper bag.
- Diaper rash cream: Pick a travel-size diaper rash cream in order to save more space in your bag. You may also opt to use petroleum jelly or a barrier ointment that can help prevent diaper rash.
- Sunscreen: For little ones 6 months and up, toss in some sunscreen if you’ll be out and about in a stroller or at the park. Protect younger babies with a hat or blanket for shade.
- Light blanket: No matter what the weather is, it’s always good to have a blanket on hand for unexpected breezes and drafty restaurants. They’re also useful to shade babies from the sun.
- Changing pad: Almost all diaper bags usually come with their own changing pad, but it is a good initiative to bring an extra or a few disposable pads, as you never know where you'll end up needing to change your baby. Even if your bag does provide one, you might find you need something a little larger at times.
- Hand sanitizer: You never know who else has touched or what you have touched before feeding or changing your baby, so make sure you include a sanitizer just in case you can't wash your hands before and after a diaper change.
- Food and water: Plan ahead how many feedings your little one might need if they have started eating baby food. Pack some snacks and water for yourself too and try to use travel-friendly packages that will not make a mess inside your diaper bag.
(Image credits to Babylist)
- Nursing cover: Nursing covers are very handy for extra privacy when you may want to breastfeed, and they can also be used as a light blanket or to throw over the stroller for added sun protection.
- Burp cloths: Pack one or two burp cloths or even washcloths for your baby’s spit-up, or for wiping up spills. Toss in as many as you think you’ll need, then add a few more.
- Pacifier: For babies that use pacifiers, make sure to store the item in a resealable bag to ensure that it is clean and sanitary.
- Waterproof bag: This small bag will be super useful to store any wet or soiled clothing from the outing. Use these for soiled diapers too before tossing them away in the bin to keep the smell contained.
- Change of clothes: This is especially important for day trips or an overnight stay, but even on a short outing your little one can have a poop explosion that requires a quick change of clothes.
- Nursing pads: Tuck a few of these into your bag followed by inside your bra, to help with breast milk leaks.
- Wallet and phone: If you're not taking your purse, transfer your phone and wallet, and any other must-haves like keys, to your diaper bag, preferably in an easy-to-access pocket or pouch so you can find them when you need them.
- Band-Aids: For extra precaution, sneak in a few band-aids as a preparation for any kind of physical injury that may happen to both you and your little one.
Did you like our article These Are The Must-Have Essentials That You Need In Your Baby’s Diaper Bag in 2022? While it is called a diaper bag, it does not necessarily mean that it is only used to carry diapers around. Babies need a lot of gear. You also never know what little accidents await you outside, so it is important to have back-ups that can tidy up whatever mess that may happen. A diaper bag can make life with your baby or toddler much easier. With everything organized and in its place, you can feel totally equipped to head out with your little one.
Want to read more? Check out these 10 ways to care for your baby's skin and the best trendy baby names in Malaysia.